I have a lump on my rib cage. It's a rubbery ball that moves with the skin. I know it could be a cyst or lipoma but what are the chances of cancer?

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: See your doc

You are right, a cyst or a lipoma would be the more common than a malignant tumor. You should tell your friendly primary care physician about this new mass.

In brief: See your doc

Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Pathology

In brief: Low

A movable rubbery mass under the skin is not likely to be cancer, but it would be good idea to have it checked by a doctor and may be have it removed.

In brief: Low

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Surgery

In brief: Slim chance

What you describe sounds very much like a lipoma, a benign fatty growth.
It could possibly be a sebaceous (inclusion ) cyst. The chance of this being malignant would be quite small. Ask your doctor to take a look, but don't lose any sleep over it at this time . Good luck.

In brief: Slim chance

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery