I am pregnant. Recently I have been throwing up blood. And I just wanted should I go to the emergency room?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Call OB on the way
1 did vomiting of blood just begin? 2 is it possible to 'keep down' any food or liquids? 3 is there cramping, pain? 4 how many weeks pregnant? All of these are important for OB provider to know about when and where to see a pregnant woman with hematemesis.
Er is ok, but in general pregnant women are taken to and seen on labor and delivery so baby can be evaluated too. Take sample of emesis to show.

In brief: Call OB on the way
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Mike Moore
In brief: Yes, right away!
Yes, you should go to your closest emergency department without delay!

In brief: Yes, right away!
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
In brief: Depends
If you vomits large amount of blood , you need to go to emergency room.But if it is just a tinged of blood, it may be from vomiting too hard or you could have ulcers as well, you still need to see your ob/fp to be evaluate as soon as possible for the cause.

In brief: Depends
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
Chethan Sarabu
In brief: Yes you should.
Yes you should go to the emergency room and also contact your OB doc if you can.
Based on your other symptoms, throwing up blood can be a minor issue or a potentially more concerning one. Blood loss during pregnancy can affect the growing baby. You need to go to the hospital so they can rule out any of the serious causes.

In brief: Yes you should.
Chethan Sarabu
Chethan Sarabu
Answer assisted by Chethan Sarabu, Medical Student
Justin Fuehrer
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Absolutely!
I would head to the emergency department immediately.
In fact, if you are really throwing up blood, call 911 now and let paramedics bring you in by ambulance.

In brief: Absolutely!
Justin Fuehrer
Justin Fuehrer
Answer assisted by Justin Fuehrer, Medical Student
Chethan Sarabu
In brief: Yes you should.
Yes you should go to the er and also contact your OB doc if you can.
Based on your other symptoms, throwing up blood can be a minor issue or potentially something more concerning. It is really important that there is no blood loss to the baby. You need to get this checked out so they can rule out any serious conditions.

In brief: Yes you should.
Chethan Sarabu
Chethan Sarabu
Dr. Adam Levy