When is it necessary to get a carpal tunnel release done?

CTS symptoms. Surgery generally is enacted when the pain, tingling or numbness of carpal tunnel syndrome become unbearable and limiting.
When you have pain. And constant numbness, then this is the most important absolute time to get the surgery done soon, we can debate the value of earlier treatment, but this is often the point of no return for full recovery. However if you pass this point it is not a reason to put off surgery.
Several reasons. Talk to your hand/wrist surgeon about carpal tunnel release if 1) numbness & pain impact function 2) pain can't be managed conservatively via bracing & meds 3) to prevent muscle atrophy.
If symptomatic. A carpal tunnel release is a very effective procedure for patients that have failed conservative care. It is elective and can be done when convenient. Obviously, it should only be considered if the symptoms are significant enough to consider surgery. Good luck.
When Present. Carpal tunnel should be treated when the diagnosis is made. Early treatment can include oral medications and splints. However with symptoms that do not improve, surgery should be considered. Failure to treat compression of the nerve may lead to irreversible nerve damage.