Type on my ipad a lot, and my parent think the numbness is caused by carpal tunnel syndrome rather than diabetes. Are they right?

Many possibilities. Numbness can occur from various reasons. Some potential causes include vitamin deficiency, nerve damage, nerve compression, and alcohol over consumption, side effects of different medications, or as a result of different systemic medical conditions such as diabetes. Get evaluated by a professional to determine the diagnosis. Treatment is based on the diagnosis.
Carpal tunnel would. Be first 3-4 fingers 1 or both hands diabetes would be all 5 fingers, usually both hands.