If someone has a severe case of lupus what would they be experiencing and what are the chances of death?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Very low!

Death usually is the result of kidney disease, cerebral vasculitis, thrombocytopenia, and infection.
The regimens available have changed this landscape tremendously. I have had only one sle death in 28 years. It was not the lupus, but systemic infection from a feeding line. All with severe sle should be managed by a specialist in rheumatology! all data on sle related deaths don't reflect new rxs!

In brief: Very low!

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Peter Kurzweil