I have a tailors bunion, is surgery required?

In brief: Depends

Depends on if you have tried conservative treatments like padding, wider shoes, injections, nsaids etc.
In you have tried everything then surgery is indicated.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Surgery, inserts.

Unfortunately, there are no braces or exercises to get rid of a tailor's bunion.
If you elect to have surgery, there are several ways your surgeon could go about it. Depending on the angle of your bones (you'll need an x-ray), there are many different procedures to choose from to correct your foot. If you would rather, cortisone injections to the joint or orthotics can improve symptoms.

In brief: Surgery, inserts.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Options

Surgery should be considered if you have exhausted your conservative options.

In brief: Options

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat

In brief: Maybe

Any deformity only needs surgical consideration when it impacts your comfort and lifestyle.
Tailor bunions often respond to wider, less "stylish" shoes. Once these options have been exhausted, surgery is a reasonable option. I don't recommend surgery for cosmetic purposes due to the risk of a post-op result that may not meet your expectations.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Bradly Shollenberger
Dr. Bradly Shollenberger

In brief: Sometimes

It really depends on your pain level and on how bad the deformity is.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Michele Colon
Dr. Michele Colon
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Not neccesarily

Often times, I use pain as my gauge.
If you have pain, i woul due more inclined to recommend the procedure.

In brief: Not neccesarily

Often times, I use pain as my gauge.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: If all else fails

Tailor's bunionettes are often seen in people with ill-fitted shoes or a splay foot (very wide).
The initial treatment is resizing shoes, soft upper to shoes, pads and injections if a bursae has formed over it. Surgery is to "cut thebump" or if xrays indicate a congenital deformity an osteotomy. Often seen with a symptomatic hallux valgus (bunion). Shoes first surgery second.

In brief: If all else fails

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Dr. Steven Sheskier