What are the best ways to help my baby while he is teething?

Let them chew. Chewing on something cold and firm is helpful. One idea is to give them a damp washcloth that as been frozen in the freezer to chew on. Commercial teeth rings that can be frozen are available as well. Teething is a normal process. I would avoid medication like painkillers unless absolutely necessary. Most babies really don't need them.
Wait; no benzocaine. There are many soothing remedies. Whatever you do, avoid using numbing gels like anbesol or orajel. Anything that contains Benzocaine can precipitate a dangerous reaction called methemoglobinemia in a small baby.
Usually: nothing. Most babies have absolutely no problem at all with teething-- there are all sorts of products being sold to "treat" teething, but keep in mind that people have been getting teeth for many, many years, without any trouble. We can't ask a baby how she feels, but I do know that my teething teenagers (who usually get molars at 12 or so) have no symptoms whatsoever.
Soothing remedies. Teething is uncomfortable, and soothing a teething baby can be as challenging as soothing a colicky baby: tylenol (acetaminophen) / Ibuprofen to help relieve the discomfort; consider the following soothing topical oil: 1-2 drops of essential clove oil in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, apply to gums with cotton swab every couple hours for soothing effect. Teething symptoms can be confused with ear infections.