My morning blood sugar is consistently 110 or so. But then it is <100 for the rest of the day. Is it normal?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Not normal

If the fasting morning blood sugar is consistently 110 (but less than 126), then by definition, you have pre-diabetes.
There are other ways (hba1c or oral glucose tolerant test) to confirm pre-diabetes (or diabetes) and i think it's important that you see your doctor to discuss getting these blood tests done. Good luck.

In brief: Not normal

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Needs closer look

Any glucose reading above 100 fasting is considered impaired.
As in your case, it's not uncommon to be the only measurement being impaired during a 24 hr period and it can be the early stages of pancreatic dysfunction/diabetes. If you have a strong family history of "mild diabetes", you may have a type of diabetes called mody (stands for maturity onset diabetes of the youth) type 2 variety.

In brief: Needs closer look

Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Maybe?

One cannot answer this without knowing if you are on medications, how much and when you are taking the medications.
Are you diagnosed as diabetic? Do you have other health issues. What is your diet like? If you are having symptoms you should see your pcp and address this proptly. Low blood sugars can be dangerous to you and others. I would not delay seeking an in-person medical visit.

In brief: Maybe?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
2 comments
Dr. Danny Proffitt
If you are very thin, you may need more carbs. If you are on a high protein or high fat diet you still may have problems. Complex carbohydrates are best and foods with with low glycmic index are best. There aer other medical reasons for low blood sugar. If a problem, get in to be seen. Best to you.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
You could have a thyroid issue, a rare instance of an insulinoma and other problems may exist. Liberalize you complex carbs.
Dr. Alvin Fried
Internal Medicine - Diabetology

In brief: Not technically

The fact that the fasting level is higher than the generally accepted level of normal, it cannot be called "normal".
However, it is not necessarily indicative of diabetes. You should have a standard testing procedure. I suspect that you have a late hypoglycemic swing and the morning sugar is catching the rebound.

In brief: Not technically

Dr. Alvin Fried
Dr. Alvin Fried
Dr. Steven Seres