I have had 4 turb's for non invasive bladder cancer and have decided not to have BCG treatments. Can I just have my bladder removed?

Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not standard

Local bladder therapy such as BCG and others can put off the need for bladder removal for quite a period.
Bladder removal can be done but urine pathway reconstruction will need to be surgically done too. Your urologist can discuss other local treatment drugs besides bcg. Finally, many centers are looking at robotic bladder surgery.

In brief: Not standard

Dr. Ritesh Rathore
Dr. Ritesh Rathore

In brief: Sometimes necessary

Depends on grade (aggressive nature) of tumor. For those with low grade disease, turb often is curative.
However, for high grade disease and recurrent disease resection alone is not enough, and we recommend bcg. For someone with recurrent high grade disease, some urologist may advocate for early cystectomy (bladder removal) but many will advocate a course of bcg. Was yours low or high grade?

In brief: Sometimes necessary

Dr. Matthew Thom
Dr. Matthew Thom
Dr. Matthew Thom
You are correct, the risk of recurrence for low grade disease is can be high (depending on size, number tumors, etc). However, the risk of progression (meaning becoming high grade or muscle invasive) is low (typically less than10-15% at 5 years for low grade disease). WIthout knowing the specifics of your case, I would consider local therapy and would not perform removal for low grade diseasw.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Be careful what you

Ask for, you might get it.
. Cystectomy or prostocytectomy, with urinary diversion is something to adapt to when you need it. Deciding not to have BCG and opting for cyctectomy sounds petulant. Discuss this with a few urologists, experienced with both, and air your reasons for spurning the relatively benign BCG for the more than you know cyctectomy.

In brief: Be careful what you

Ask for, you might get it.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Adam Smith