I have had a tooth with a cavity for quite some time, and I believe it has rotted. Can this hurt my gums? What else can happen from this? Please help!

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
It can hurt your gum, as the infection expends from the root canal in the tooth socket and eventually in the gum if left untreated.
It get spread outside the gum, such as in the sinus cavity, if it's an upper molar that is being affected. In rare cases, it may affect your eye and if left untreated completely, the infection may reach the bloodstream causing sepsis.

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. John Chastain
Infection may also spread to the neck, creating a severe infection or abscess, which may require surgical drainage and IV antibiotics. In rare cases, infection and related swelling may cause airway compromise.
In brief: Pain!
If you have a cavity in a tooth, it may not be causing any pain, but at some point it may start to hurt.
If you are unable to clean the area around the tooth, build up of food could cause a gum problem in the area. Aside from pain, the biggest concern is saving the tooth. Maintaining your teeth in a healthy state will keep your mouth comfortable and you will be able to eat a healthy diet.

In brief: Pain!
Dr. Terri Silverman
Dr. Terri Silverman
Your gums can grow over or into the area where the tooth is rotted.
The gum tissue can become inflamed and irritated. A deeper infection can occur which can become very serious.

Dr. Jennifer McAroy
Dr. Jennifer McAroy
Dr. Peter Kurzweil