My big toe metatarsal is in excruciating pain. What could be wrong?

In brief: GOUT

I'm going to guess the location as the big toe/bunion joint instead of the metatarsal.
If I'm right, and the onset was sudden, no injury, it's hot and red and swollen, and the pain is excruciating, I'm going to say it's gout. You should see your PCP, first to confirm my diagnosis, then to get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: GOUT

Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Darrell Latva
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Possible

Gout or fracture or infection.
..Is there redness swelling?

In brief: Possible

Gout or fracture or infection.
..Is there redness swelling?
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Michael Sparacino

In brief: Several things

This problem can only be solved by seeing your doctor and being evaluated face-to-face.
After a thorough examination, your doctor should be able to tell you what's wrong and what to do about it.

In brief: Several things

Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine