Will I have an anesthetic during a knee arthroscopy?

Dr. Mark Newman
Anesthesiology

In brief: Knee arthroscopy

Arthroscopy may be performed under local anesthesia, local anesthesia w/ sedation, spinal/epidural or general anesthesia.
Much will depend on surgeon and regional anesthesia provider preferences. All are very safe when performed properly. I would recommend discussion with your anesthesiologist and surgeon preoperatively to decide on the best options for your particular situation.

In brief: Knee arthroscopy

Dr. Mark Newman
Dr. Mark Newman
Dr. Joe Wilkinson
Orthopedic Surgery

Either general or regional anesthesia is necessary in knee arthroscopy in order for the patient to tolerate the stress necessary to do a complete and thorough exam of the knee and any treatment indicated.

Dr. Joe Wilkinson
Dr. Joe Wilkinson
Dr. Vikram Patel