Are you put under during root canals?

In brief: Not normally

Unless you have ultra high anxiety about dental treatment, nearly all root canals (and nearly all dental care) can be done very comfortably under local anesthesia.
If you are a little nervous (very normal feeling for something never experienced), ask your dentist for a Rx of an anti-anxiety drug. Don't worry, at the end you'll say this was so easy!

In brief: Not normally

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Rarely

Root canal therapy is actually a very common and normally an easy procedure.
There are these horror stories that circulate but rarely is anything more than local anesthesia (an injection) necessary in order to perform the procedure without any pain at all, especially in the hands of an endodontist. Some dentists also use "sweet air" or nitrous oxide\oxygen analgesia.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
With over 40 years experience, and perhaps 1000 RCT's performed, I have never had a patient that needed to be sedated for this procedure, nor even one that was sorry for having it done with only local anesthesia. Almost 100% of patients are pleasantly surprised afterwards.

In brief: Yes but not required

The procedure is around 1-2 hours long and is typically very comfortable.
The only reason to "go to sleep" for the procedure is due to anxiety. You will need to find someone trained to do sedation as not all dentist or endodontist will be able to do this.

In brief: Yes but not required

Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch