Barium enma test requires I drink a prep & enema 4 evacuation. But I have an ostomy bag and stoma. Should I take the prep if my rectum is inactive?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
I will say "yes" because you put out stool through your colostomy bag and therefore it needs to be removed before barium enema.
The only question i really have is why would you need to have barium enema to evaluate your colon when you can have colonoscopy? When barium enema is done on people without colostomy, they are usually expected to contract their anal sphincter to hold it. What about you?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
First off, barium enema is not a "perfect" test, but neither is colonoscopy. Yet, the colonoscopy is more sensitive in detecting polyps and cancers. If your barium enema turns out suspicious for polyps/cancer, you will need a colonoscopy. Just based on that, why bother with barium enema. Secondly, unless there is a way to hold the barium in your colon, which I know not, I don't see how u can do it
David Miller
The purpose of the prep is to get all of the stool out of your colon so that the walls of your colon can be seen on the x-ray.
This is important as all the x-ray sees is what the barium sticks too, be it your colon or whatever is in it. If the prep isn't good enough, you'll likely have to repeat it or go in for more invasive tests.

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery