I have a hematoma after a knee arthroscopy and its red now after 20 days from the surgery and its covering all my leg is that normal?And how to treat

Dr. Jeffrey Ng

In brief: Time to see your doc

Hematomas after surgery need to be addressed with the ortho who did the procedure.
I am sure your ortho wants to you to see him 1-2 weeks after the operation. You are having a problem, so go see him.

In brief: Time to see your doc

Dr. Jeffrey Ng
Dr. Jeffrey Ng
Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine

In brief: Hematoma

I would contact your surgeon immediately and have you evaluated for an infection and/or DVT (blood clot); alternatively, make sure that you are not applying ice directly to the skin and that you are not developing reflex sympathetic dystrophy (rsd); finally ensure that you are not having a drug reaction.

In brief: Hematoma

Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Robert Meislin
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Go to see your MD

Go to see you ortho for a follow up.
Usually, after arthroscopy you will not have that much of bruising. If you are a bleeder, or have a history of easily bruising and your ortho thinks that the bruise is too much- you likely will be referred to see a hematologist/blood specialist to see if you have underlying bleeding disorder etc.

In brief: Go to see your MD

Go to see you ortho for a follow up.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine