How do I prevent tooth pain after getting a composite filling?

Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: How long?

If your tooth is painful more then a day or two after a composite filling it is best to see the dentist who did it to evaluate the bite and see if the nerve has been affected.

In brief: How long?

Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Prevent?

Proper dental techniques reduces the chance of post operative discomfort following the placement of composite fillings, but even with that, sometimes there is some sensitivity or discomfort.
You can't really prevent it. However, if it does occur, see your dentist to see if the bite needs adjusting or the tooth needs further treatment.

In brief: Prevent?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Mild pain is normal

However, if the pain continues for two weeks, there is a problem with your composite filling and you should see your dentist.
Good luck!

In brief: Mild pain is normal

Good luck!
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Minimal

Pain should be minimal and handled nicely with OTC meds

In brief: Minimal

Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: See your dentist

Please go back to see the dentist who placed the composite filling.
Perhaps it is too high and you are biting into it too hard. Perhaps the filling is cracked or did not bond well. Perhaps the dentist may assist you with a mild pain medication. I would go back to the dentist.

In brief: See your dentist

Dr. Mark Venincasa
Dr. Mark Venincasa