3 doctors weighed in:
What would happen if I used the lice shampoo more than the recommended once a week?
3 doctors weighed in

Dr. Robert Stuart
Family Medicine
1 doctor agrees
In brief: Toxicity
Lice treatments are basically insecticides and if over-used will cause not only skin irritation but can cause neurologic toxicity (damage to the central nervous system).
Children are especially susceptible to this.

In brief: Toxicity
Lice treatments are basically insecticides and if over-used will cause not only skin irritation but can cause neurologic toxicity (damage to the central nervous system).
Children are especially susceptible to this.
Dr. Robert Stuart
Dr. Robert Stuart
Thank
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics
In brief: Waste of product
There are some products with potential toxicity if used too often but the strength of these products makes it unlikely.
I sometimes recommend retreating a week or so later to pick up any leftover bugs. It takes 10 days for the new louse to begin reproducing.

In brief: Waste of product
There are some products with potential toxicity if used too often but the strength of these products makes it unlikely.
I sometimes recommend retreating a week or so later to pick up any leftover bugs. It takes 10 days for the new louse to begin reproducing.
Dr. James Ferguson
Dr. James Ferguson
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Cindy Juster
Board Certified, Pediatrics
32 years in practice
2M people helped
Continue
107,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors