5 doctors weighed in:

Can you use a microwave to kill lice in a stuffed animal?

5 doctors weighed in
David Escobar
Family Medicine
3 doctors agree

In brief: Yes

Lice need a host to survive, and typically won't live longer than 1-2 days on an inanimate object.
They won't survive temperature extremes, so microwaving or just washing in hot water in the washing machine should do the trick. Be careful with the microwave however; if there are plastic components or materials within the stuffed animal, microwaving could cause release of noxious materials.

In brief: Yes

Lice need a host to survive, and typically won't live longer than 1-2 days on an inanimate object.
They won't survive temperature extremes, so microwaving or just washing in hot water in the washing machine should do the trick. Be careful with the microwave however; if there are plastic components or materials within the stuffed animal, microwaving could cause release of noxious materials.
David Escobar
David Escobar
Answer assisted by David Escobar, Medical Student
Thank
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Family Medicine
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Sure

You may definitely microwave a stuffed animal to kill the lice, unless the warning label on it specifically tells you not to microwave it.
Remember, though, that lice don't live on anything that supports their life cycle, basically, where there is no food. They suck blood and multiply. A stuffed animal is not a friendly environment for them. It's not routinely recommended to treat household objec.

In brief: Sure

You may definitely microwave a stuffed animal to kill the lice, unless the warning label on it specifically tells you not to microwave it.
Remember, though, that lice don't live on anything that supports their life cycle, basically, where there is no food. They suck blood and multiply. A stuffed animal is not a friendly environment for them. It's not routinely recommended to treat household objec.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Thank
Read more answers from doctors