How to check for head lice on a 9 year old boy?

Get him to sit still. The biggest problem with 9 y/o boys is getting them to stop moving for a second so you can get a good look. Fortunately, most of them have short hair (justin bieber notwithstanding). Lice don't like short hair, they like to hide, so taking a flat stick (like a clean popsicle stick), go through section by section looking for either lice or small nits attached to the base of the hair follicles.
Head lice. Checking the head of 9 year old and finding the live or nets will make the diagnosis.
Use nit comb. Use a white towel around neck and comb with nit comb it will be easier this way. If you have good eyesight you can part hair into 4 sections and manually check need not of patience and know what it is you are looking for - nits look like dandruff but do not come off hair easy.