Is it possible for me to keep my kids from getting head lice?

Avoid contact. You should teach your children to not share hats, combs, pillows, etc. So that they are less likely to catch lice from other children. It takes relatively intimate direct contact to share the lice. They don't jump or fly.
Avoid affected perso. The short answer is to have them avoid others who have head lice. Humans are the only hosts for head lice, so if they are not in contact with an affected person (either directly or indirectly--such as wearing an affected persons' hat) it would not be possible to acquire the parasite.