Mother diagnosis with breast cancer at 54, maternal grandmother diagnosis with pancreatic ca at 69. Dr's won't do brca test because there is no other breast/ovarian ca in my family. What do I do? I'm so worried.

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Screening

You should have clinical breast exams starting now, and then at age 40 start with yearly mammograms.
It is possible to pay for the brca testing out of pocket if this is truly your desire, because would likely not be covered by insurance.

In brief: Screening

Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: See below

You are at higher risk for breast cancer because your mother has had breast cancer. You should consult your health care provider and come up with a screening plan for breast cancer surveillance.
Other than breast self examination, nothing likely needs to be done before you are at least 30 years old.

In brief: See below

Dr. Chevies Newman

In brief: Pancreatic cancer

Independant. About 5% of breast cancer comes from a famiaial inherited gene and the radar goes off for this when 1st degree relative dx'd prior to age 50.
Most likey you do not carry this gene but we use whats called the gail model (look this up) to determine who should be screened. Approx 9% of women will get a breast cancer diagnosis, most are not related to a brca 1 or 2 gene.

In brief: Pancreatic cancer

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham