What reasons would a boy have to have circumcision done?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: The Evidence

Analysis of all the available research data by the american academy of pediatrics demonstrated a benefit of doing it versus the detriment of the risk.
The benefit was described as "small", but this does mean there is an advantage to performing it than the risk of not.

In brief: The Evidence

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Helena Bentley
Removing the foreskin helps to better clean the penis, but retracting the foreskin to clean and teaching your son proper hygiene is also good. For some people, circumsion is done for religious reasons, but for most it is cosmetic. Other potential risks other very small.
Dr. Sari Nabulsi

In brief: Circumcision

Circumcision is done mostly for religious reasons, rather than medical reason.
The american academy of pediatrics guideline shows there is no medical indication to circumcision. But, it does cut down the risk of infection, cancer and phomosis(which is swelling around the penis).

In brief: Circumcision

Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: Religion, ?hygiene

Religion is a good reason for all muslims and jews.
Worthwhile for boys with urinary tract malformations like urethral valves, bladder reflux or kidney obstruction. Paraphimosis, where tight foreskin is trapped behind penile glans. Balanitis xerotica obliterans of foreskin. Very rare penile gangrene. Phimosis (tight foreskin) not absolute indication & may respond to steroid cream or dorsal slit.

In brief: Religion, ?hygiene

Dr. George Klauber
Dr. George Klauber
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Phimosis

I would not advocate circumcision in a boy without any medical reason.
The only medical reason I am aware of is phimosis, tight foreskin that interferes with normal urination.

In brief: Phimosis

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Shontae Buffington