I have discomfort, swelling and patella mal trekking from a swollen plica (1st doctor prognosis). Is having the plica removed now going to save my cartilage in the long run orshould I do ice pt and wait?

Dr. Jack Farr
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Plica common

Patellofemoral problems are complex -- a precise diagnosis is key.
Plicae are very common in asymptomatic knees-- so be sure the plica is the problem. Ask to review all the peer reviewed literature reports of a plica causing malalignment -- unaware of any on pubmed.

In brief: Plica common

Dr. Jack Farr
Dr. Jack Farr
Dr. J. Yusuf Erskine
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Conservative tx

Is best, rest, perhaps nsaids, consider osteopathic treatment to balance your knee.
Then exercise with pt.

In brief: Conservative tx

Then exercise with pt.
Dr. J. Yusuf Erskine
Dr. J. Yusuf Erskine
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Plica can irritate peripheral cartilage but is not a key cause of osteo arthritis
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

The plica can be secondary to maltracking but not a cause of it.
You probably need to target the malt racking first. I like to use a knee sleeve with lateral j pad to control the tracking which may decrease the plica irritation.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine