What is the easiest way to get my toddler to accept his inhaler and nebulizer treatments?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Sick or well?

When toddlers are coughing & wheezing & miserable they are more likely to sit in your lap & take the nebulizer.
Once they recover - well watch out! singulair (montelukast) an anti-inflammatory tablet not as effective as corticosteroids is easy to swallow & works in mild cases. Once kids are stable they rarely need more than 2 treatments a day. Make it a game. Use a star system. Speak to your child's physician.

In brief: Sick or well?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
David Miller

In brief: Just do it

One of the challenges of parenting toddlers is getting them to do what's needed vs what's wanted.
Sometimes you gotta just do it despite resistance. I assume that you're using a proper spacer with a face mask for the inhaler and a face mask for the nebulizer. If so, then all you have to do is put the mask on and deliver the medicine. The kiddo may resist but they still have to breath.

In brief: Just do it

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Shontae Buffington