Can mitral valve prolapse kill me?

Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Not by itself

Mitral valve prolapse is a disorder of the mitral valve where the leaflets close abnormally.
By itself patients have no symptoms. But patients with mvp have an increased incidence of developing a leak-mitral regurge. Occasionally it will worsen, and left untreated could lead to heart failure. Mvp patients need to take antibiotics before surgical procedures including dental to prevent infections.

In brief: Not by itself

Dr. Dan Fisher
The 2007 AHA Guidelines removed MVP, including MVP with regurge from the list of conditions requiring SBE prophylaxis
Dr. Linda Gromko

In brief: Unlikely.

When i was in medical i school, a doctor diagnosed me with mitral valve prolapse - and went on to tell me that mvp had a "casual relationship with sudden death!" i didn't think that sounded casual in the least! mvp is commonly diagnosed.
It can be associated with rhythm disturbances in the heart. More often, it's noticed on an echocardiogram but doesn't cause trouble. Do get checked to be sure.

In brief: Unlikely.

Dr. Joshua Buckler
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: MVP

Mvp is a condition in which there is laxity in the valve structures.
When there is laxity in the system, the valve can pouch backwards or "prolapse" which can result in leaking of the valve. While usually mild, if the valve leaks enough the heart can eventually fail. More rarely, a tethering chord holding the valve can rupture suddenly and cause severe leaking which can be life threatening.

In brief: MVP

Dr. Richard Shemin
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Unlikely, possible

A rare possibly of a lethal arrhythmia exists.
An infection on the valve can be very dangerous requiring surgical repair or replacement. Long term neglect to worsening regurgitation resulting in heart failure can be debilitating and eventually lethal.

In brief: Unlikely, possible