What is the best way to clear toddler nasal congestion?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Suction

If the nose is congested and full of mucous the best way to clear the nasal passages of a toddler who cannot blow the nose is to use a suction bulb.
Spraying the nostrils with an OTC nasal saline and then using the suction bulb works best. There will be a protest, but "just suck it up"!

In brief: Suction

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Saline, diet?

Nasal saline mist in a can sprayed as needed often really helps.
I do not like suctioning, as it can lead to nosebleeding. Really, you need to sort out why there is congestion. A cold. It will pass. Allergies? May need testing or evaluation of adenoids. Reflux? Consider dairy-free diet or other food elimination trials. Ask your md or see a peds ent. Congestion can be treated!

In brief: Saline, diet?

Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Cindy Juster