Constipated for a week strain really hard to pass bowels I have right side groin & hip pain. Can my constipation be related to my gallstones?

Dr. Nicole Basa
Surgery

In brief: No

Constipation is not related to gallstones.
The pain in your groin may be a hernia due to the strain placed on the abdominal wall with bowel movements. Hernias are associated with a bulge in the groin. You should make sure to drink a lot of water, eat fiber and if needed take a stool softener such as colace. You may have to take something stronger like MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol) to help you have a bowel movement.

In brief: No

Dr. Nicole Basa
Dr. Nicole Basa
Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Chronic constipation

Think about your colon! it has to move that heavy load of old stool.
A bowel regimen can help. The goal is two soft bowel movements daily. Add water, juices up to 1.5 liters daily, fiber tablets, laxatives (milk of magnesium or miralax), stool softeners, and probiotics, to a daily walk. If you have fever or vomiting, get evaluated by your doc. Constipation leads to vague abdominal complaints.

In brief: Chronic constipation

Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Tracy Berg
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery