How can I stop biting on my fingers when it has become a habit of sixteen years?

Dr. Paige Gutheil
In brief: Plan and support
Plan ahead & enlist help from friends, family, your doctor, etc.
Think about the situations when you are more likely to bite your nails and the emotion behind them. If you bite your nails when you are nervous, you need to find another way to sooth anxiety. If you bite when you are bored, find something else to do with your hands. Consider chewing gum, mints, nail polish, fake nails as deterents.

In brief: Plan and support
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Paige Gutheil
David Miller
In brief: Make them taste bad
I trust that you're talking about biting your fingernails.
Some folks find it helpful to coat their nails with something that is bad tasting. Tabasco or some other hot sauce is a good choice but it really depends on your particular taste. You might also work on controlling your anxiety through other means than nail biting.

In brief: Make them taste bad
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
In brief: Treat the cause
Is it because of stress or anxiety it became a habit.
Perhaps you need to find the cause and deal with the problems.

In brief: Treat the cause
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
Dr. (Liz)Phuong Tran
Dr. Cindy Juster