How do I know if one of my saline breast implants popped? I have had them for 7 years. If it did pop, could it cause my period to not start?

Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Saline

When saline implants rupture the breast will immediately lose volume and flatten out.
It is unlikely to directly affect your period. However any emotional stress can affect your menstrual cycle.

In brief: Saline

Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Probably obvious

If your saline implant were to rupture it would most likely be very obvious.
The saline would leak fairly rapidly and be quickly absorbed by your body. So your breasts would rapidly become different in size and shape. And no it should not cause your period to start. We give saline to patients all of the time. It should not affect your hormones.

In brief: Probably obvious

Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
2 comments
Dr. Antonio Carbonell
You should notice a texture difference if you didn't have much tissue covering the implant with excessive folding. Partial deflations are unusual in saline implants and the best confirmation is with a mammogram.
Dr. Antonio Carbonell
I agree with Dr. Binford. You should notice excessive folding in addition to a change in size, especially if your original breast volume was small. The distress of losing implant volume can alter your menstrual timing but not for more than one month. You should look for other causes...i.e. pregnancy.
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Becomes Obvious

When saline, as opposed to silicone gel, breast implants leak it becomes quite obvious rather quickly.
Generally, the patient's breasts will decrease in size and/or the patient may feel more rippling of the breast implant. Most patients present with new onset of breast asymmetry… the leakage itself should not alter the patient's menstrual cycle; other causes for this change should be ruled out.

In brief: Becomes Obvious

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: They Deflate

Saline implants will deflate if they are ruptured.
That is one of the benefits of saline implants. If you had silicone and suspected a rupture, you would have to go for imaging.

In brief: They Deflate

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery