Is there a certain type of dog that would'nt effect my teen sons allergies?

Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Less effect

Dogs less likely to cause reactions include poodles, wheaton terriers, portugese water dog, others.

In brief: Less effect

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: No guarantee!

Most are allergic to the shedding skin or dander of animals.
The could include shed hair. The breed of dog does not limit one from being allergic to the dog. Some dogs seem to be more allergenic than others. The more shedding, the more chance for exposure and allergy. Bischon's are a less shedding dog and there are others. Talk to your pcp, allergist and veterinarian.

In brief: No guarantee!

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
2 comments
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Sometimes allergy shots can help. I have seen some successes with NAET (Nambudripod Allergy Elimination Technique). It sometimes works well when there is a single allergen. Chinese Medicine can also help improve allergies. Research your area for providers.
Dr. Howard Gollup
I have a good friend with dog-allergic kids who, years ago, wanted to get a dog (against my advice!). Years later they have their second Wheaton Terrier without problems. I agree with the above answer--all dog dander can be allergenic, but some breeds shed less so don't spread it around as much. But beware: the bond to the dog is hard to break if it doesn't work out.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey