My husband has severe toenail fungus. What is the best way to get rid of it without taking strong meds that can harm liver?

Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry

In brief: Pulse Lamisil (terbinafine)

Where you only take it for 7 days every 3 months has shown the same cure rate as taking it every day for 90 days.
It's been shown to be much safer than originally thought and is the most effective treatment. Ask your doctor about pulse therapy lamisil (terbinafine).

In brief: Pulse Lamisil (terbinafine)

Dr. Howard Fox
Dr. Howard Fox
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry

In brief: Several treatments.

The reason you hear so many different treatments for toenail fungus is because there is no perfect, sure-fire treatment that works 100% of the time.
I've seen vaporub work, as well as other natural oil remedies, but rarely. You can also try laser therapy, antifungal creams, paints, or the oral medications you mentioned.

In brief: Several treatments.

Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Libby Putnam
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology

In brief: Laser

There is laser therapy for this now.
See doctor that offers this therapy.

In brief: Laser

There is laser therapy for this now.
See doctor that offers this therapy.
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Robert Jackson

In brief: Many

Topical solutions, oral medications, laser treatments, surgical removal, homeopathic remedies, etc.
The most used treatment is oral Lamisil (terbinafine) tablets once daily for 90 days. See a podiatrist for what may be best for your specific needs and expectations.

In brief: Many

Dr. David Hettinger
Dr. David Hettinger