Hi. I had upper jaw surgery to correct my overbite. I will be getting the lower surgery next summer. How long is the recovery time for this?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

Depends on the type of surgery (there are many different for lower jaw), how well your Orthodontist prepared your occlusion for the surgery, your level of oral hygiene, and your post-surgical compliance.
Lower jaw surgery usually has a longer recovery time than upper. Discuss this with your surgeon directly. He/she knows your case best.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. John Scuba
As the upper jaw surgery includes an operation across the sinuses with all the associated nasal symptoms postoperatively, we have found that the lower jaw surgery is usually far less problematic in recovery. It is hard to say why BOTH surgeries were not done at the same operation.
Dr. John Scuba
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Staged surgery

It is hard to imagine why the two surgeries were not accomplished at the same time.
In some cases, there is a growth issue across the palate which must be corrected first, but this does not seem to be the case here. I would discuss further with the surgeon.

In brief: Staged surgery

Dr. John Scuba
Dr. John Scuba
Dr. David Schleimer
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Depends

The severity of the problem, how smoothly procedure went and post operative care impact time of healing.
The lower surgery should heal quite in a similar fashion. Why was the surgery done in stages? There are times when this is necessary, but usually both jaws are done surgically at the same time. Best of health!

In brief: Depends

Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. David Schleimer
Dr. John Scuba
Absolutely agree with Dr Schleimer's question why the surgery was "staged". In almost all cases the surgery is accomplished at one operation in both jaws. It would be a good idea to question as to "why".

In brief: Similar

Probably similar to the upper jaw.
Check with your surgeon because there may be extenuating circumstances that may make things different.

In brief: Similar

Probably similar to the upper jaw.
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. John Van der Werff
Dr. Majid Jamali
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Jaw surgery

Depends on what kind the surgeon has chosen.
Ivro procedure takes longer (6 weeks) to heal, because the bony segments are not rigidly fixated. Bsso has a faster recovery.

In brief: Jaw surgery

Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Majid Jamali
Dr. Jack Hinkle