Is miralax (polyethylene glycol) safe for long term use? I have chronic constipation and doc wants me to take miralax (polyethylene glycol) everyday. I also have chronically low potassium

Dr. Grace Akoh-Arrey
Pharmacology

In brief: Yes per your Doctor

Miralax (polyethylene glycol) increases the amount of water in your stool , making bowel movements easier/frequent.
Use only as prescribe by your doctor.Max 34g/day. Pour the powder into the cap up to the marked line (the dose is about 1 heaping tablespoon (17gm) dissolve in 4-8 ounces water/ juice/coffee/tea/soda and drink. Common side effects gas, nausea. Report breathing problems/diarrhea/severe bloating/stomach pain.

In brief: Yes per your Doctor

Dr. Grace Akoh-Arrey
Dr. Grace Akoh-Arrey
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Change your diet and

Fluids. Eat a high fiber diet between 20-25 grams per day, regular meal times and drink 80-100 oz of caffeine free alcohol free fluids daily.
If you exercise and should add 20 oz per 30 minutes of strenuous exercise. Some meds contribute to constipation so take the meds with full glass of fluid instead of a sip in addition to the above recommended fluids.

In brief: Change your diet and

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology