What is a post-partum checkup?

Routine exam. It is the routine exam performed usually at 4 to 6 weeks after delivery. Your doctor will assess that your body is back to normal after the delivery and you will have the opportunity to have any problems addressed and discuss birth control if desired.
6wks after delivery. Your OB generally wants to see you 6 weeks after your delivery to check your pelvic muscle tone and make sure you are doing ok. During this appt you will probably get a vaginal exam, pap smear and talk with your provider about birth control options. Of course if you are experiencing a lot of bleeding or pain beforehand call your OB to get checked out sooner.