Do I need to call the doctor if I have bleeding after my baby is born?

Dr. Janesta Noland

In brief: If it's a lot, yes

Bleeding after delivering a baby is normal.
Moms who deliver in the hospital will usually have their blood count checked the day after delivery to make sure they have not lost too much blood. If, however, you pass a blood clot the size of a grapefruit or larger, or if bleeding is copious, or if you feel ill, contact your doctor.

In brief: If it's a lot, yes

Dr. Janesta Noland
Dr. Janesta Noland

In brief: Use a telephone

A woman with bleeding after pregnancy should call her doctor. Before leaving the hospital, the woman should be sure she knows the difference between what is normal, and what is unusual bleeding (talk with the doctor or nurses, before leaving the hospital).
If at home, she is not sure about the amount of bleeding, and cannot reach the doctor by phone, she should return to the hospital.

In brief: Use a telephone

Dr. Cindy Juster