I have a hypokalemia, why does my doctor recomends potassium citrate?

Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Hypokalemia

I have a hypokalemia, why does my doctor recomends potassium citrate? ANS: because hypokalemia is a low blood potassium. Most important to find out the cause of the low potassium. I specialize in this and recommend a 2nd opinion with me.

In brief: Hypokalemia

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: To raise potassium.

Hypokalemia can be caused by certain renal conditions and drugs such as diuretics.
The potassium is to keep your level in balance. Low potassium can cause cramps, raise blood pressure, and cause arrythmias!

In brief: To raise potassium.

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Arthur Rein

In brief: To replace potassium

Oral supplements are commonly used to treat low potassium.
In prescription form, Potassium Chloride is more commonly used. The bigger question is why do you have the low potassium in the first place? You're pretty young to be on a diuretic (water pill), the most common cause of low potassium.

In brief: To replace potassium

Dr. Arthur Rein
Dr. Arthur Rein
Dr. Umesh Patel