What could my doctor and I do about such severe insomnia? I have tried everything I can think of and all suggestions I've found online. Thanks

Insomnia. Your problem needs a clinical evaluation by a specialist and you also might needs sleep studies. The only information that you are presenting here is age and "insomnia" which is not enough for a decision. Please find a sleep specialist in your area.