Why does school start so early when teenagers are naturally night owls?

Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Who knows?

We know that teenagers have a delayed sleep phase- meaning they naturally like to stay up late and sleep in, yet high schools start sometimes as early at 730am! who knows why- probably because we want time for after school sports practices.
Regardless, to help your teenager try to advise them to keep a consistent bedtime (weekdays and weekends!) and get up at the same time each morning.

In brief: Who knows?

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Cornelia Franz
This has been asked for years! Most teens really don't get much out of the first two periods....they are not awake. Dr Webb is right...a lot of it may be driven by sports schedules.
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Wait a Minute!

Teenagers are not inherently night owls.
I agree this fairly standard behavior, but it is not physiologically required. This is a behavior which if neccessary can be changed. It is strictly a matter of priorities. And I am not saying that the standard teenage sllep schedule is wrong. It is also a social issue , since it often is different in other societies.

In brief: Wait a Minute!

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Shontae Buffington