Dad has advanced prostate cancer with bone metastasis. After orchirectomy, psa down from 270 to 10. Shall he start zometa or xgeva (denosumab)? Which is better?

In brief: Bones

Xgeva (denosumab) has less side effect profile in my opinion.

In brief: Bones

Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Richard Sarle
Dr. Uma Swamy
Radiation Oncology

In brief: See Below

Use of bisphosphanates for your dad can be controversial.
Here is an excerpt from a recent review article on www.cancernetwork.com which you can use to discuss with your father's doctor to decide what is best for your dad. http://www.cancernetwork.com/bone-metastases/content/article/10165/105118.

In brief: See Below

Dr. Uma Swamy
Dr. Uma Swamy
Dr. James Gulley
Neither Zoledronate nor denosumab are approved for prostate cancer that has not progressed on the initial hormonal therapy. I would recommend reviewing with the physician the risks and benefits of doing so. In general, I would wait until the PSA starts to progress. And decrease exposure to these drugs that can have side effects.
Dr. James Gulley
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Off label

Neither zoledronate nor Denosumab is approved for disease that has not progressed on initial hormonal therapy.
I would recommend waiting until disease progression and thus avoid potential side effects from these treatments.

In brief: Off label

Dr. James Gulley
Dr. James Gulley
Dr. Julio Hajdenberg

In brief: Either

Xgeva (denosumab) does have some advantages over zometa: quicker administration and no kidney side effects.
It is associated with fewer bone complications from cancer than zometa. On the other hand, zometa is now generic, meaning that is a lot cheaper. Neither is a curative treatment for prostate cancer and they are both considered adjunct treatments. Thes small differences may or may not justify its use.

In brief: Either

Dr. Julio Hajdenberg
Dr. Julio Hajdenberg
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery