Is lung cancer hereditary?

Unclear. Non or never smokers can develop lung cancer if they have a genetic mutation to such genes as egfr or eml4/alk fusion translocation. For more info: http://bit. Ly/ygfoko.
See below. There are no defined familial lung cancer syndromes; however, mutations in certain regions of the genome have higher incidence of lung cancer; some inherited changes in metabolic pathway genes may increase risk for carcinogensis from smoking.
Rarely. The vast majority of lung cancer is thought to be caused by tobacco exposure. A small percentage of the lung cancer cases in non smokers are thought to be hereditary.