Cyst on ovary, I have one on my right ovary. I was given metformin to help it go away. Is that something that will help? How does it go away?

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Can't hurt, may help

Metformin is used in polycystic ovary disease- it reduces Insulin resistance at ovaries, and is well known to decrease testosterone production- reduce acne, decrease extra hair growth on nipples, face-, and restore normal monthly period cycling.
Some infertility specialists use it to increase chance of getting pregnany as well, and it may reduce size of cysts

In brief: Can't hurt, may help

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Chevies Newman

In brief: Well

It depends on the size but u were given this likely because of irregular ovulation due to pcos.
Elevated Insulin reduces ovulation. Metformin at 1500 mg ( divided doses) will have 30% of women with pcos ovulating. It will not resolve a large cyst, however, but the medicine may have good effects if u have family hx of type 2 diabetes, gain wt easily and have irregular periods. Use xl version.

In brief: Well

Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Chevies Newman
Dr. Jane Van Dis