How painful is hallux rigidus surgery?

First. Everyone perceives pain differently. Second, there are many different procedures to cure this issue. Rest assured if you have pain and this is why you are doing the surgery, you will be given pain killers for post op and ultimately your problem will be fixed.
It depends. The amount of pain that one will experience will depend on a variety of factors such as the type of procedure performed, the patient's individual pain tolerance, and the patient's level of post-operative compliance. Following the procedure, your surgeon will usually prescribe a pain medication which will minimize your level of discomfort.