What is in the steroid shot my doctor gave me for sinus infection? How does it work?

Anti-inflammatory. Steroids are the best anti-inflammatory medications we have to treat allergic and infectious inflammation in the respiratory tract - from the sinuses to the lungs. Steroid injections allow higher doses and faster onset of action than the tablets or nasal sprays, but expose the rest of the body's organ system to higher levels. You shouldn't get injections more than once or twice a year, if that.