My son has been coughing for a few months now, but only at night. We went to the doctor a few times already and nothing seems to help?

In brief: Drainage/reflux

If this is only at night when he lays down you must look at other systems potentially triggering the cough.
I see this in kids with GE Reflux or postnasal drainage with allergies.

In brief: Drainage/reflux

Dr. Scott Diede
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: What was tried?

I would say this is consistent with cough variant asthma.
A trial of albuterol at night could be helpful in diagnosing the cause of his cough. I would want to know if he was having any other symptoms during this time (fever, runny nose, congestion). Does he start coughing if he were to lay flat during the middle of the day? A chest xray or perhaps a visit to a pulmonologist could be the next step.

In brief: What was tried?

Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Scott Diede
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology