How would you start a letter to a family telling them their child has a genetic disease?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Always Face to Face

I always make the time to give this information personally.
I have also found that doing it the format of a house call is the most effective, unless the patient happens to be hospitalized at the time.

In brief: Always Face to Face

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Johanna Fricke
And give the information to both parents at the same time. Since they may not hear everything you tell them the first time, provide written information on & resources for the condition & schedule a 2nd visit. If it is an inheritable disorder, assure them that nothing they did during their lifetime caused it.
Dr. Paul Cohen

In brief: In person...

I would never convey that kind of sensitive information in a letter..
.Face to face would be my call; with preparedness to discuss all the ramifications and options to the family of said "disease".

In brief: In person...

Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Paul Cohen
Dr. Jonathan Jassey