My second breast implant surgery also resulted in encapsulation. My doctor said that they had 'memory' and that it would most likely happen with a third operation. Is ittrue?

Dr. Lavinia Chong
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Higth risk

Regrettably, the rates for recurrent capsular contracture, once you have developed one which is sufficiently deforming to require surgery or cause asymmetry and discomfort, is almost 2x that of the original surgery.
You may consider capsulectomy & explantation with staged augmentation, using new implants, placed in a neosubpectoral plane and/or strattice.

In brief: Higth risk

Dr. Lavinia Chong
Dr. Lavinia Chong
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Capsular contracture

Capsular contractures are a difficult problems because of their tendency to come back.
I routinely will perform a complete capsulectomy for first time capsular contracture patients. If they reoccur, i will in addition to performing a capsulectomy, insert a collagen matrix called strattice which is commonly used in breast reconstruction to decrease the chances of it coming back.

In brief: Capsular contracture

Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Mahlon Kerr
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes and no...

Capsular contracture is the most common issue with breast augmentation surgery.
If you have had two prior events i would suggest you speak with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area about using acellular dermis during your next surgery to help prevent a recurrence. Good luck! dr k.

In brief: Yes and no...

Dr. Mahlon Kerr
Dr. Mahlon Kerr
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not necessarily

While your risks for recurrent capsular contracture are increased, I do not believe that it is inevitable.
Use of a new implant, in a new or pseudo-pectoral pocket along with the anecdotal use of Accolate (zafirlukast) therapy may help to lower recurrence rates. Altehrnatively, grafting with your own fat ai an option.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Jane Van Dis