How long is it supposed to it take for a child with autism to respond to a gluten free diet?

Depends. There is no sure answer. Some kids, two weeks. Some kids six months. Some kids never. Some need other restrictions too, possibly dairy, possibly soy. Every child is different and no one treatment will work for each child, and some children will have a profound change, some a little bit, and some not at all. This makes it hard to do controlled studies, because there is not just one autism.
Forever. Gluten sensitivity does not cause autism, therefore, no length of time on a gluten free diet will show improvement in autism. See http://abcnews.Go.Com/health/autism/gluten-free-casein-free-diet-remedy-autism-study/story?Id=10690766.
Depends. It depends if there is a gluten related issue and it depends on the individual person. If there is a leaky gut due to inflammation caused by gluten- avoiding gluten means avoiding products that contain gluten as well, such as certain medications where gluten is used as a binding agent. I would give it at least six months of a trial to see if there is a behavioral improvement.