How can I help my child feel normal in gym class when he has a heart condition?

Dr. Jeanne Beymer
In brief: Check with his MD
If your son's cardiologist has cleared him for full activity, make sure he knows that he is normal in gym class.
If he has activity restrictions, ask if it's appropriate for him to be in gym, and get a medical exemption if it's not. If he can participate but is limited, ask his gym teacher or school counselor to work out a modified plan for him that lets him do as much as possible.

In brief: Check with his MD
Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Jeanne Beymer
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: See below
First check on limitations placed on child by nature of the disease.
Then try and include them in what they can participate in. Perhaps use them as assistant coach in parts they can not physically participate in.

In brief: See below
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology