None, it is safe. And durable dental material. Most research finds no relationship between fillings and symptoms of mercury poisoning or other side effects. Eventually, any cavity if not treated, can lead to pain, infection, root canal and even tooth loss. See your dentist for evaluation, x-rays and treatment.
Unknown - hardly any. There is much misinformation about the dangers of mercury poisoning from dental amalgam. While it may not be possible to settle the "amalgam wars" with certainty, just know that the material has been used safely for over 100 years. Almost every "attack" on its safety relies on anecdote and pseudoscience. While I no longer use the material, you should not be fearful of it.
Rare. There is no good scientific studies connecting mercury in amalgam (silver) fillings to poisoning or neurlogical disorders. Unless you have a allergy to the mercury, these filling are safe. The ada, fda and cdc consider them safe.
Absolutely Not. The mixtures in the several years is very different than older mixes. New mixes don't have any extra mercury like the old kinds. Also the real big problem with amalgams is not the mercury, it is 2 other problems: 1) the bacteria that leaks down between the filling and the tooth causes deep cavities. 2) the fractures that occur under amalgams are a real problem an need to be bonded together.
Mercury poisoning. Mercury poisoning from an amalgam restoration is virtually unheard of. That is not to say that someone might have an allergy to one of the ingredients in a silver filling, mercury being only one metal in the alloy.
No. Very controversial subject. Consensus of public health and regulatory bodies is that the mercury in the amalgam is bound to the mixture (called an eutectic) and cannot react in the body and therefore safe. Contrary evidence is anecdotal but there is pressure to limit or Prohibit mercury in dental fillings.
Amalgam. No. Mercury in dental amalgam is stable and bound to the copper or silver contained in the alloy. Negligible amounts are released over your lifetime and all scientific studies thus far have failed to show it leads to harmful effects. Think of table salt, you aren't concerned about poisonous chlorine gas leaking off of it since the chloride is bound to sodium. This is a similar analogy.
In the year 1860?! Maybe in 1860 when there was a large jaw of mercury ready to spill in most dental offices... But not today! Mercury (silver) amalgam really poses an issue for the dental team, not the patient! Dentists are exposed to it all day long! However, I have yet to see a modern study showing the effects of mixing amalgam or removal on a dentist. On the other-hand, maybe that is why I am going bald!
Confused. There are numerous items that contain mercury in its various forms that can cause a toxic exposure; they occur mostly in the workplace from industrial sources. The controversy concerning possible health risks from mercury in amalgam fillings has existed for over 100 years, although to my knowledge there has not been even 1 legitimate scientific study to substantiate the claim.
I am not sure. I answered this question previously by asking what amalgam mercury poisoning is. My answer was flagged by someone for reasons of which I am not aware. The point of my answering the question is that I know of no instances in the reviewed medical or dental literature that discusses poisoning due to the mercury in amalgam. Amalgam mercury poisoning does not exist.
No. Amalgam fillings have been used for over 150 years. You'd think after all that time we would know if they were dangerous, right? There are more important things to worry about.
It's hogwash. This all started w a report on 60 minutes reporting on a faulty canadian study done on sheep. When report called into question by ada, 60 minutes stonewalled.
No. Most research finds no relationship between fillings and symptoms of mercury poisoning or other side effects. Eventually, any cavity if not treated, can lead to pain, infection, root canal and even tooth loss. See your dentist for evaluation, x-rays and treatment.
Nope. If so, most of the world's population would have died off by now. So many silver fillings have been placed in the last 150 years, a problem with their use would have manifested itself a long, long, long time ago.
NO!!! For decades the top pure science medical and dental researchers have studied this issue and all have reached the same conclusion-silver mercury amalgam fillings are safe. Those who say otherwise have no real science to validate their findings. It is true mercury is a poison alone, but so is sodium or chloride, but mixed together they are salt. While no longer popular due to esthetic, it is safe!
No. Studies have shown amalgam fillings do not cause mercury poisoning.
Definitely no. Most research finds no relationship between fillings and symptoms of mercury poisoning or other side effects. Eventually, any cavity if not treated, can lead to pain, infection, root canal and even tooth loss. See your dentist for evaluation, x-rays and treatment.
Can the removal of amalgam fillings cause mercury poisoning or headaches? Thats what I have since I removed mine.
I am certain that. The dentist collected all of the materials that were removed. It is probably coincidental that you now have headaches. Take an over the counter analgesic as directed. You do not have mercury poisoning. If the headaches persist for 48 hours with analgesics then call your primary health care provider for evaluation. You might have sinus infection.
Mercury. Minamata bay outbreak in japan, also some reports of 20% population in ny city.