How do I tell my young children their grandma has cancer and may die soon?

Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Death
This depends on many factors.
The age of the children, their relationship with grandma, what grandma would like. No one knows exactly how long a person will live with cancer so it is difficult to tell the children. There are several books on the subject. Find a support group with your church or hospital to find help. Talk to friends who have lost loved ones and ask how they handled it.

In brief: Death
This depends on many factors.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Children do well with the truth ...without grizzly details. They may ask questions which you can answer honestly. I often reflect the child's question back to them.."what do you think" to see how they are thinking so I can frame an answer better for them.
Dr. Bryan Levey
In brief: Agree
But most importantly, talk to grandma and see how she wants it handled.

In brief: Agree
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Cindy Juster